Monday, April 13, 2009

And...loving it!

One of my favorite TV shows is the old Get Smart series that aired in the 1960's. (Not to be confused with a recent movie that is not real good at all that was inspired by the series.) In it, the main character, Maxwell Smart, is sent on a near-impossible mission with a good possibility of death. His response when told that he would be facing incredible danger? "And...loving it!" His response shows his positive outlook, and willingness to make the best of any situation. Granted this is a cheesy spy comedy fiction, and the TV series isn't the greatest of the shows. (Sorry about that Chief!) Would you believe....that there is some good to be gleaned here?

All "Smart isms" aside, there is something we can learn from Maxwell Smart. His response to what ever dangerous situation is: "And... Loving it!" I would wager we all can benefit from that type of attitude. Whatever life throws our way, no matter how dire our situation, can we say "And...loving it!"? This is more than a cheesy phrase from an old TV show; it is a mentality. Like in the words of that old hymn, "whatever my lot, God has taught me to say, it is well with my soul."

Paul had it right when he said in 2 Corinthians 9A; "But He (God) said to me, 'my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'" We are weak, and sometimes we may feel overwhelmed by our circumstances, but no matter what, God lifts us up and fill us with His grace. That is why Paul says later in Philippians 4:11-13, "...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." This is an important point. We need to rely on Christ and his strength to get through our troubles so we too can say when hard situations come our way, "And...loving it!"

This is not to say that hard time will be easy or without pain. We live in a fallen world, and pain and hurt and hard times are a part of life. However, when we lean on Christ, we can make it through. One thing I have learned and am continually learning is that we experience those hard times for a reason. Through it all, God uses the hard times to grow us. This past fall, I went through a physically hard time. I missed out on some things I had set my heart on doing thanks to some injuries. It was a rough time, and there was a lot I could not do. But, looking back, I can see how much God used that time to grow me, and do some wonderful works in my life.

So what does this have to do with being a warrior poet? Simply this. A true warrior poet submits to his King, therefore, whatever happens, he stands strongest by relying on his King. No matter what comes his way, he is not shaken, nor moved, because his King is his fortress and Rock. No matter what happens, he has complete confidence in his King, and knows that through the hard times, he is strengthened and grown. Just like the knights of old practiced all the time for their duty, and no doubt received more than their shares of pain in training, a true warrior poet realizes that the hard times help prepare and grow him for the purpose God has for him. He faces the hard time with confidence and....loving it!

For Christ's Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment