Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Desidero Domni

Desidero Domni. I would guess that not many of you are familiar with the meaning of these words. Honestly, I'm not sure if it is Latin or not...but it basically means: "I dearly long to be with my Lord." That mindset is crucial in the life of a warriorpoet. We need to cultivate intimacy with our King.

Not many people spend time in the Word, or in prayer. Time spent with God outside of church is considered and accessory to our lives. We figure that as long as we spend a little time here and there, squeeze in some time with God when we have a spare moment and are thinking of it, and go to church, etc. , than we are doing pretty good. But, our desire for Him is barely there. My brothers (and sisters), this should not be!

During this summer, I've learned just how special, refreshing and desirable time with my King is. I can't imagine going a day without spending time with my King. This is not to say that I've had no desire before; far from it! It is just that my longing, desire, and delight in God has increased tremendously, and I firmly believe that as believers, we all need to.

Hear me out. Don't take this lightly. Do we, in our fast-paced, very distracted, high-tech culture "Dearly long to be with my (our) Lord"? Our desire and thirst should be for Him. Psalm 35:8: "O taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!" (NASB) Is He our joy and our delight?

I can attest, particularly this summer, but even this whole year, that my time with God, my "quiet time" has been soooo refreshing, and strengthening. I have tasted, and I want more. I've seen, and I want to see more. And God has been faithful, and given me more and more of Him. The Lord is Good! I don't know what would have happened this summer, if I had not relied on Him, and sought Him.

In the Psalms, there is a lot the psalmists have to say about being God's presence, and seeking Him. I like Psalm 62:1-2 "My soul waits in silence for God only; From Him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation. My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken." (NASB) This is part of the Poet side of being a WarriorPoet: cultivating intimacy with our King. We need to deeply desire and adore, and seek our King.

Do you dearly long to be with your Lord? I exhort you to seek Him. Seeking the Lord, spending time with Him, being in His presence should captivate you more than any earthly pleasure. For us to fully be Warriorpoets, Men and Women of God, we need to earnestly and eagerly seek the Lord. Taste and See that the Lord is Good! Desidero Domni!

For Christ's Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment