Friday, August 21, 2009

Living Temples...

I was reading in Ezekiel a few days ago for my quiet time, chapters 40- 48 specifically. The passage in question described God's temple and how it needed to be just so, holy and wholly set apart for His glory to dwell in it. No trace of sin or flesh could be found in it. The priests even had to wear special clothes to serve in it. They were to teach the people "the difference between the holy and the common, and to show them how to distinguish between the unclean and the clean ." (Ezekiel 44:23, NIV)

When the temple was completely set apart, God's holiness and presence could dwell in it. As you read this passage, it is evident that there is a difference between the mundane and the holy. When the temple is defiled, then God's presence could not reside in it. God takes the holiness, and set apartness of his temple very seriously. God can not stand sin. As I've been reading through Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, it becomes evidently obvious how serious sin is and how God hates it. He wants no trace of it in His temple, in what should be holy. When the Israelites failed to do so, we read in Ezekiel 10 of how the Glory of the Lord left the temple. They were defiled in their adultery, in their sin against the maker, whom they were covenanted to.

It is obvious, then, how seriously God takes holiness, and being set-apart for Him. And, in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, Paul exhorts the believers, saying "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were brought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (NIV)

This is not the only time Paul says this. Granted, in this particular passage, he is talking about sexual immorality, but this is not just for that. He is referring back to his previous argument back in chapter 3, verses 16-17. "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple."(NIV)

As I was reading that passage, I could not but think about these particular passages. It is extremely evident how much God desires His temple to be holy, without sin. It causes me to think, am I being Holy? Can God's glory and presence be seen in me? Is His dwelling place clean from sin? Do I take holiness and sin as seriously as He does?

I want to be a "living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God." I desire to be set-apart, holy. Sin and even hints of the flesh should not be present. To fully be a Living Temple, means to take holiness seriously, honoring God. I know I want to have His glory and presence shining through me.

For Christ's Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment