Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I no longer live...

Let's face it. Our American version of Christianity is very "me" focused. It can be so easy to be
focused on ourselves and what we are doing for God. We can so easily put God in a box. It's like we have a compartmented mentality. We act one way one place and totally differently at another place. God, and Christianity, is an activity to us, just like our jobs or sports or whatever. We don't really seek God, except for the few times that WE want something. Overall, we focus on "me", and we rely on our strength. Our prayers are more so for our benefits and our wants. We esteem our comfort and as a result are choked by the thorns of our enemy, the flesh. Our selfishness.

Now, I have talked a bit on this before, but it needs said again. I find that I struggle with self a bit. This summer, however, has been a bit of a strategic victory in my personal war against the flesh, against self. I can't help but think of Galatians 2:20: "I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." (NIV)

It can be easy to rely on ourselves, and focus on ourselves. However, this summer, if I had done that,
I would have failed miserably. There is no way that I could have made it through this summer without God. Too often, we try to rely on ourselves, but if I learned anything this summer, it is that we are helpless without God. We NEED Him!

Our energy, our strength, our joy, our wisdom, our refreshment, should be from Him! We can't hope to do it on our own. I admit that there were times when I relied on my strength, to not so good results, but those times were few. It is only through Him that I made it through the battle this summer. I can't imagine not relying on Him

We need to realize that it is not about us. We can not do it on our own. Self is the biggest thing that keeps God from working fully in us and through us.

I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. I wouldn't have it any other way!

What about you?

For Christ's Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment