Saturday, May 2, 2009

For Better and for Worse...

Some of you are probably wondering what I am planning to talk about. Well, let me give a little history, and then I'll explain!

As some of you know, my dad had a skiing accident and surgery recently and has been home for a long recovery. Through all this time, I have watched my mom sacrifice for him, and that has been really encouraging to me. My hat is off to you, Mom for your commitment!

You see, my mom has been demonstrating sacrificial love to her husband, and loving him and caring for him no matter what. That type of commitment is seriously lacking in many marriages. Have we forgotten the words of John 15:13, "greater love has no one than this, that he lays down his life for his friends. "? (NIV)

I desire to have that same love for my future wife...and I challenge you to love your spouse the same way. In a typical marriage vow, the husband and wife both promise to care for each other in sickness and in health, for better or for worse. We need more people to love as described in 1 Corinthians 13.

This mindset is seriously lacking in our culture. Divorce is everywhere. As Paul said, "my brothers, this should not be!" I personally deeply desire to love my future wife as put forth in 1 Corinthians 13, and with the same commitment as my mom has for her husband...in fact, nothing against my mom, but I desire to go even deeper. I desire to love and be committed even more than my mom. Thanks Mom for inspiring me!

I know this is a little different than what I usually post, but I think this is something that need addressed. In our age of cheap love, we need more people to love each other with the same intensity as set forth in 1 Corinthians 13, and with the same commitment as what they promised, "for better or for worse."

For Christ's Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment