Sunday, May 30, 2010

Book Review: "Where is God" by Dr. John Townsend

 Well, every so often, I will review a book and share my thoughts on it (I am a part of the Thomas Nelson book reviewing, AKA BookSneeze....(Don't ask! I don't know! =D) Without further ado, here is my thoughts on "Where is God?" by Dr. John Towsend:

 In the face of the many troubles people face, many people are asking, "Where is God in this?" It seems to be our typical human reaction. Dr. John Townsend, in his book, "Where is God?", addresses this question, and assures his readers that God doesn't leave us.

Overall, the premise of the book is good. His last chapter has some very practical suggestions that are helpful in dealing with problems in life. God is faithful, and is in control during our hard times. Dr. Townsend doesn't deny that even when we follow God, there will be troubles, sometimes to show His glory (Like Job).

However, I had several concerns. In the beginning of the book, as he set up his thoughts and points, one of his points which had an emphasis all throughout the book is that God is for you. The way he treats this all throughout the book seems to slightly diminish God. Yes, God is in control all the time, but He isn't about our good. He is about His glory. That is why we were made, why we exist, why we were saved, and why we go through hard times: Because it is all for His glory. Saying that God is for me ultimately makes for a very humanistic theology, in which the end of all is our happiness. Instead, the end of all is God and His glory. So this was a concern. I was also sort of put off by his whole approach in writing the book. It seemed to be more of a psychological discourse than a study into God and His purposes in troubles. Much of modern psychology is rooted in humanist thinking and I suspect that this had an influence in this book.

I received this book to review from Thomas Nelson (http://www.thomasnelson.com)

For Christ's Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment